13 August 2008

On the road again

I’ve written a number of these blog entries, from South East Asia to Palm Springs down to South America, but this is the first time I’m writing one from a plane. According to the screen in front of me, I’m at 39,000 feet above the Mediterranean, somewhere slightly west of Sicily. I’m also drinking my second carafe of wine, following a double whiskey (Kenya Air… pretty friendly) following an ambien induced red-eye from Denver to jolly ole London. So this may not be my best post ever.

Anyways, I’m on my way to Nairobi and should be there in about 6 hours. I had a nice eight hour layover in the UK and was able to catch up with Frankie, one of the girls from Khao Lak. She’s a solicitor, which is a British word for a lawyer who wears a funny wig when in court (not making this up, those crazy fucks still do that). Before leaving Denver, I had a fun dinner with Mike, Jenny, Dirt and Margie, the family from Denver that I ran into in Nepal and proceeded to get unbelievably shitfaced with. This time we laid off the apple brandy (unfortunately) but it was still pretty fun to talk about our different stories (I ‘m pretty sure Mike has been to every country on Earth and hitchhiked/sold brownies to survive in most of them).

I also managed a trip to DC, a night in New York and a trip to the mountains to climb 14,000 foot Mt Yale. In fact, in the last 5 weeks week I’ve been on 4 continents, 5 countries and 10 cities. So not a bad go. Anyways, my computer is telling me its 3:40pm on Wednesday in Denver and that sounds like the perfect time for my next sleeping pill.

Until Kenya,
Steve

PS. So apparently there are some Christian missionaries on this flight, and they were making some big deal before the flight took off that their bibles didn’t get on board, and that brought a little smile to my face.

No comments: