20 December 2008

El Fin

Today marks the last day of the trip after a pretty cool week in Namibia and Cape Town. Went sea fishing from Swakop and caught four barracudas which was actually really tough and left me sore, bruised and covered in fish blood (get the washing machine ready mom). That afternoon did quad biking on Namibia's sand dunes which is one of the better things I've ever done. You get a pretty good adrenaline rush racing up these 50 meter dunes at 75k then you look up and you are in this amazingly beautiful desert with the sea to the left, blue sky above and miles and miles of sand dunes.

Then came down to Cape Town which is a thoroughly awesome (and Westernized city). Its got a main down town, a water front and then some suburban beaches, it reminds me a lot of Sydney. There certainly are the townships with plenty of poverty and the apartheid history, but its easy to be here and forget you are in Africa at all. Wandered around, went on a wine tour that I barely remember, checked out the beaches, reveled in having ice and sushi and bagels and then went diving with great white sharks. I was in a cage and its low season, so we didn't see a ton of them doing national geographic shit, but i was still sitting in a cage in the 50 degree atlantic trying to entice 10 foot long sharks to come play. Good stuff.

Had a nice dinner with everyone from the truck last night (Springbok shanks, highly recommended), checked out table mountain today and am now trying to wrap my head around the 30 or so hours of traveling I have in front of me. When I'm home I'll put up some photos and maybe expand on the last three weeks but to eveyone out there, thanks for reading and to everyone out here, thanks for making this such a cool experience.

Tuta Onana (see you later)

No comments: