21 June 2009

Oscar Miked

My flight to merry ole England leaves in about 8 hours and its been pretty interesting to see how differently I prepared for this trip than my first backpacking trip to Asia. Four years ago my last week consisted of a daily trip to REI, a cover to cover reading of a Lonely Planet, currency arbitrage at the forex and some pretty frantic packing, unpacking, organizing and repacking. This time I've taken a markedly different approach, partly because I already have a lot of stuff but more because I've realized that they do in fact sell shoelaces in other countries (in fact they are made there!). So instead I've focused on something far more important: food. In the last three days I've hit a sushi place, mexican restaurant, smoked a turkey and of course grabbed a burger at the Cricket. I've also picked up what I now consider to be an essential (over say a mosquito net): a 4 pound jar of chunky peanut butter. So armed with that, my passport, Visa card and trusty hammock (same one from Asia), I'll talk to everyone from Nairobi.

Cheers

No comments: